The Importance of Patient Choice in Home Care
Following a discharge from the hospital, many seniors are faced with the need for quality home health services. Whether it be nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy or assistance from a speech pathologist, home health care is intended to provide patients with a path to independence.
Unfortunately, many times families and their loved ones don’t realize that they have choices and rights when it comes to home health care. More recently, as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) passed the federal home health care Conditions of Participation (CoPs), patient rights have been strengthened and moved in a positive direction. One of the main objectives is to ensure that more people have access to the highest level of patient-centered care from home health agencies (HHAs).
Services provided by an HHA may include:
- Care including part-time nursing or supervision from a registered nurse.
- Physical therapy, speech-language pathology, or occupational therapy.
- Services from part-time home health aides.
What are Patient Rights When it Comes to Home Health Care?
Patient choice is a key part of focusing on the well-being of the patient and addressing their needs. By having guidelines in place, El Paso Community Home Health will continue to do their part in upholding our responsibilities as an agency.
The federal law states that patients of a Medicare-approved home health agency have the following rights:
- To choose their home health agency. *Members of managed care places will depend on the who the home health
agency works with.
- For their property to be treated with respect.
- To be given a copy of the care plan as well as to be able to make decisions regarding care.
- If the patient is unable to make decisions, your family or guardian may act on your behalf.
Home health agencies must provide you or your family with a written copy of your rights and other resources that allow you to understand the choices you have. You also have the option of contacting your Medicare Beneficiary Ombudsman to help answer additional questions regarding decision making and your Medicare rights.
Receive the Care You Deserve
If you or a loved one is in need of home health care in El Paso, please connect with us today. El Paso Community Home Health exists for one reason and that reason is to provide patients with first-rate care. We understand the importance of receiving quality home care, which is why our team works diligently to ensure your needs are met while you are under our supervision. Please give us a call today at (915) 591-6700.